By Luke Bretherton
- Explores the connection among Christianity and modern politics via case reviews of faith-based businesses, Christian political activism and welfare provision within the West; those case stories examine tasks together with neighborhood organizing, reasonable exchange, and the sanctuary movement
- Offers an insightful, informative account of the way Christians can interact politically in a multi-faith, liberal democracy
- Integrates debates in political theology with inter-disciplinary research of coverage and perform relating to non secular social, political and monetary engagement within the united states, united kingdom, and continental Europe
- Reveals how Christians may also help hinder the subversion of the church – or even of politics itself – by way of felony, bureaucratic, and industry mechanisms, instead of advocating withdrawal or assimilation
- Engages with the intricacies of latest politics when integrating systematic and historic theological mirrored image on political and monetary life
Read Online or Download Christianity and Contemporary Politics: The Conditions and Possibilities of Faithful Witness PDF
Best religious studies books
A unmarried guy stands in the back of the best deception in heritage. Charles Darwin's rules nonetheless penetrate each point of our tradition, together with technology, faith, and schooling. And whereas a lot has been made from his contribution to the evolutionary speculation, little has been publicized concerning the darkish part of the fellow himself and the way this can have impacted the standard and legitimacy of his study.
Yoga periods and Zen meditation, New-Age retreats and nature mysticism—all are a part of an ongoing non secular experimentation that has unusually deep roots in American historical past. Tracing out the country’s Transcendentalist and cosmopolitan spiritual impulses during the last centuries, stressed Souls explores America’s abiding romance with spirituality as religion’s significant other.
The whole Enemy explores the main radicalized types of enmity, attempting to resolve a few of its old and modern expressions. ranging from the idea that one among modernity's constitutive values is non-violence, the booklet explores how non-violence, or really the making of an international freed from violence, turns into a reason behind violence, in a few circumstances even severe violence and totalitarian terror.
This booklet seeks to discover historic alterations within the lifeworld of the Mi'kmaq Indians of jap Canada. The Mi'kmaq tradition hero Kluskap serves as a key character in discussing concerns corresponding to traditions, altering conceptions of land, and human-environmental family. so as to not depict Mi'kmaq tradition as undying, vital sessions in its heritage are tested.
- Hope's Promise: Religion and Acculturation in the Southern Backcountry (Religion & American Culture)
- Literature and Theology: New Interdisciplinary Spaces
- Religion Italian Style: Continuities and Changes in a Catholic Country (Ashgate AHRC/ESRC Religion and Society Series)
- Bucer, Ephesians and Biblical Humanism: The Exegete as Theologian (Studies in Early Modern Religious Tradition, Culture and Society)
- Early French Reform: The Theology and Spirituality of Guillaume Farel (St. Andrews Studies in Reformation History)
- Modern Inquisitions: Peru and the Colonial Origins of the Civilized World (a John Hope Franklin Center Book)
Extra resources for Christianity and Contemporary Politics: The Conditions and Possibilities of Faithful Witness
Christianity and Contemporary Politics: The Conditions and Possibilities of Faithful Witness by Luke Bretherton